We’ve written and collected
a library of useful articles
which we hope you’ll find to be
relevant and informative.
Seniors and Sexual ActivityPosted Oct 27, 2015
There are many benefits in maintaining a healthy sexual activity level as seniors. Some of those benefits include:
- Sex burns fat and causes the brain to release endorphins, natural chemicals that act as painkillers and reduce anxiety.
- In men, sex stimulates the release of growth hormones and testosterone, which strengthen bones and muscles.
- Sex also seems to prompt the release of substances that bolster the immune system.
Some studies suggest that sex about three times a week can slow aging and prevent wrinkles around the eyes – talk about a fun way to maintain youth.
The physical exertion associated with sex is about the same as walking up two flights of stairs. If your heart is up to that much exercise, it’s probably up to sex.
Continuing to have sex will preserve your sexual vigor beyond middle age. Sexually active people have higher levels of naturally produced sex hormones.
The Challenges can be as follows:
As they age, seniors generally experience changes in sexual desire and response to sexual stimulation. Understanding what causes some of these normal changes may help you to enhance or maintain your sex life. Even with a willing and able partner, you may find that:
- It takes longer to become aroused.
- You don’t have as much stamina as you used to.
- You need more time to reach the same level of satisfaction that you once enjoyed.
For women, vaginal discomfort, dryness or pain during intercourse may occur, due to decreased lubrication, the result of hormonal changes related to menopause. Treatments and ways to adapt are available. Sensitivity to breast stimulation may also occur.
Men may notice that achieving an erection may take longer and that it may not be as large or firm as before. Orgasms may be less intense than in their youth. These changes are normal and a result of a decrease in hormones. Again, treatment and ways to adapt are available.
There are many things now that can help with the above issues, however, your doctor should always be consulted in case there are other medical factors that are contributing to your decreased desire or that hinder your sexual activity. Once your doctor gives you the goods… go ahead… stay young!