We’ve written and collected
a library of useful articles
which we hope you’ll find to be
relevant and informative.
NS Seniors: Just Add Joy!Posted Mar 29, 2017
We make decisions and judgements based on events and people we’ve met throughout our lives. We take our habits very seriously and Heaven forbid that anything interrupts us in the paths we have chosen or must perform (because they are a habit, of course).
So… after many years, we find ourselves in these habits, otherwise known as ruts. We watch the same old television shows, do the same old things and… abacadbra… we are bored and boring. Usually, we are stressed too because as we rely on our habits more and more, anything than causes us to detour from them (even in small measure) stresses us. Not much fun, predictable as can be, stressed and we are without joy.
Joy, folks, is better than any anti-aging cream, better than Brussels sprouts and Omega 3 fatty acids at keeping you younger looking, younger feeling and it puts a spring in your step. It’s cheaper too and easy to attain.
So… how do we get some of this joy in our lives?
First lesson: watch this video: before reading any more
We have saved it – we can refer to it at any time and it is used often when stress intrudes on our lives – almost an instant cure for the stress rut.
That’s how easy it can be!!
Here are a few other ideas for helping to find joy in daily life:
- When you get up in the morning, think about what you can do that will bring a smile to a loved one before focusing on the planned day ahead
- Buy a cup of coffee for the person standing behind you in line (no matter how impatient or grumpy they may be), that makes it even better.
- Change some of the programs you watch on TV from serious murders and detective dramas to a good comedy. In fact, go to bed on comedy instead of murder and distressing news – try it – after a while you will find your mood lifting… really.
- Listen to your music… loud… dance and sing along – it really doesn’t matter who’s listening… even if you are not a good singer, they will get caught up in the joy with you.
- Go outside and see some nature – take the scenic route.
- Lend a hand to a neighbour.
- Take a possession or two and give them away… do you really need them?
- Go out for ice cream – really taste it and enjoy it – no guilt allowed
- Introduce yourself to someone at a meeting or social event and strike up a conversation with them.
- Catch yourself when you are going to say something negative – change it to something positive.
- Read something that inspires you
- Pay something forward… help someone because someone has helped you.
- Write… yes, write a note of gratitude to someone.
These tips are guaranteed to make you smile!